Pernell Whitaker vs. Gary Jacobs
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1995-08-26 : Pernell Whitaker 147 lbs beat Gary Jacobs 147 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Convention Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Ron Lipton
- Judge: Tamotsu Tomihara 118-107
- Judge: Gus Mercurio 118-109
- Judge: Takeaki Kanaya 117-109
- World Boxing Council Welterweight Title (4th defense by Whitaker)
- Jacobs was rated #1 by the WBC.
- Whitaker was ruled down in the eleventh round, but television replays showed it was merely a slip.
- Referee Ron Lipton deducted a point from Jacobs in the final round for excessive holding.
- Whitaker dropped Jacobs twice late in the final round.
- Whitaker landed 298 of 667 punches (45%) and Jacobs connected on 186 of 496 (38%).