Pernell Whitaker vs. Jorge Paez
1991-10-05 : Pernell Whitaker 135 lbs beat Jorge Paez 135 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Reno-Sparks Convention Center, Reno, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Mills Lane
- Judge: Keith MacDonald 116-110
- Judge: Chuck Giampa 115-111
- Judge: Patricia Morse Jarman 115-112
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 117-109 Whitaker
- World Boxing Council Lightweight Title (6th defense by Whitaker)
- World Boxing Association Lightweight Title (3rd defense by Whitaker)
- International Boxing Federation Lightweight Title (8th defense by Whitaker)
- Whitaker was a 7-1 favorite.
- Paez was rated #1 by the IBF.
- Whitaker earned $1 million and Paez received $200,000.
- Paez suffered a cut over his right eye from a butt in round six. Another butt opened a cut over his left eye in the tenth.
- Referee Mills Lane deducted a point from Whitaker in the eleventh for pulling Paez's head down.
- Paez had a point deducted in the final round for punching on the break.
- Whitaker landed 312 of 895 punches (35%) and Paez connected on 197 of 584 (34%)
- This was Whitaker's last fight as a lightweight.