Pernell Whitaker vs. Wilfredo Rivera (2nd meeting)
1996-09-20 : Pernell Whitaker 147 lbs beat Wilfredo Rivera 147 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: James Knight Convention Center, Miami, Florida, USA
- Referee: Frank Santore Jr
- Judge: Jay Kassees 113-112
- Judge: John Keane 115-111
- Judge: Masakazu Uchida 115-113
- World Boxing Council Welterweight Title (7th defense by Whitaker)
- The rematch between Whitaker and Rivera was mandated by the WBC because the first fight ended with a disputed decision.
- Whitaker's purse was $1.5 million and Rivera's was $300,000.
- Whitaker was ruled down in the fifth round after Rivera landed a body shot, but it looked more as if Whitaker tripped over Rivera's left foot.
- Rivera was penalized a point in the sixth round for a low blow. Later in the round, he was knocked down by a straight left to the chin.
- Whitaker landed 266 of 616 punches (43%) and Rivera connected on 201 of 897 (22%).
- HBO judge Harold Lederman scored the fight 116-109 for Whitaker.