Pichit Chor Siriwat vs. Joma Gamboa
1999-02-20 : Joma Gamboa 108 lbs lost to Pichit Chor Siriwat 108 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Chaweng Beach Arena, Ko Samui, Thailand
- Referee: Waldemar Schmidt
- Judge: Erkki Meronen 112-118
- Judge: Melchor Taylor 110-118
- Judge: Hiroyuki Tezaki 112-116
- World Boxing Association World Light Flyweight Title (4th defense by Pichit)
- Pichit Chor Siriwat 20-1 (10 KOs) vs. Joma Gamboa 25-3-1 (19 KOs)
- WBA World Light Flyweight Champion Pichit is coming off an eight-round technical knockout of South Korean Tae-Kil Lee in his third defense of his title four months ago while Gamboa is coming off a ten-round decision win against Rudy Idanio five months ago.
- Pichit is 4-1 (2 KOs) and Gamboa is 0-1 in world title fights coming into the bout.
- Pichit comes in 10-0 (5 KOs) against Filipino fighters while Gamboa comes in 2-1 (2 KOs) against Thai fighters.
- This is Gamboa's seventh fight outsive his native Philippines and his second fight in Thailand; He is 4-2 (3 KOs) outside his home country and 0-1 in Thailand coming into the fight.
- Reigning and defending WBA World Light Flyweight Champion Pichit Chor Siriwat retains his title with a twelve-round unanimous decision of one-time world title challenger Joma Gamboa.
- Both fighters were conservative throughout the twelve-round world title bout, with neither willing to slug it out. However, Pichit racked up points in the judges scorecards round after round, landing with solid counterpunches, stiff lefts to the head and straight rights to the body that won him the bout after all twelve rounds.