Pongsaklek Wonjongkam vs. Sonny Boy Jaro
2012-03-02 : Pongsaklek Wonjongkam lost to Sonny Boy Jaro by TKO in round 6 of 12
- Pongsaklek Wonjongkam 83-3-2 (44 KOs) vs. Sonny Boy Jaro 33-10-5 (23 KOs)
- Filipino Jaro dropped Wonjongkam with a right uppercut in first, and dropped him again with a hard straight right to head in third.
- Jaro knocked out Wonjongkam for the full ten count in the sixth round (not a TKO)-first time this had occurred in Wonjongkam's 28 WBC title bouts.
- Only the second time Wonjongkam counted out in 15 years. Filipino Jerry Pahayahay knocked him out in in the fifth round of a 1996 rematch of an eight round bout also won by Pahayahay in 1995. Wonjongjam decisioned Pahayahay over ten rounds in 1998 in their third meeting.
- Pongsaklek entered as the flyweight champion and the # 8 fighter pound-for-pound in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Jaro was unranked by the same publication. Jaro entered as the WBC # 8 flyweight contender to Pongsaklek's title, as well as the IBF # 4 light flyweight contender.
- The 'Fighter of the Decade', Wonjogkam had figured into 28 WBC World Flyweight title bouts in eleven years since 2001
- By previous contractual agreement, the winner of this bout required to next defend the title in Japan against top rated contender Toshiyuki Igarashi by order of WBC President Jose Sulaiman as Igarashi had won a WBC eliminator in June 2011 over Wilbert Uicab in a Tokyo bout supervised by WBC official Mauricio Sulaiman.