Rafael Marquez vs. Silence Mabuza (1st meeting)
2005-11-05 : Rafael Marquez 118 lbs beat Silence Mabuza 118 lbs by TKO at 2:08 in round 4 of 12
- Location: Caesars Tahoe, Stateline, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Norm Budden
- Judge: Adalaide Byrd 30-26
- Judge: Burt A. Clements 30-26
- Judge: Dennis Nelson 30-26
- International Boxing Federation Bantamweight Title (6th. defending of Marquez)
- International Boxing Organization Bantamweight Title (7th. defending of Mabuza)
- Time: 2:08
- Weights: 118 lbs (each)
- Referee Budden stops the contest on advice of the ringside physician, Steven Brown.
- Mabuza, down in the 1st round, from a left hook to the head, for the first time as an amateur or professional was bleeding from a two-inch cut in his right eyebrow and a cut under his left eye.
- Mabuza and his handlers complained that the cut had been opened by a head butt, but Budden ruled a punch had opened the wound.
- Marc Ratner, chairman of the Nevada State Athletic Commission said the cuts were caused by punches, then the more severe cut was made worse by a headbutt. If the cut was started by a headbutt, the fight would have been ruled a no decision.
The Boxing Times analysis (Marquez Cuts Down Mabuza - John Gregg)
SuperSport Zone (Cuts stop Mabuza's challenge - Ron Jackson}
Reno-Gazette-Journal (Marquez scores TKO win vs. Mabuza - Steve Sneddon)
Nevada Appeal (Lacy defends his title - Mike Houser)
Fightnews.com (Marquez silences Mabuza - Billy "Loops" Luppert)
Tahoe Daily Tribune (Bloody finish to bantamweight title fight - Tim Parsons)