Ray Mancini vs. Deuk Koo Kim
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1982-11-13 : Ray Mancini 134¾ lbs beat Deuk-Koo Kim 134¼ lbs by KO at 0:19 in round 14 of 15
- Location: Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Richard Greene
- Judge: Lou Tabat 126-122
- Judge: Yusaku Yoshida 128-124
- Judge: Ismael W. Fernandez 127-121
- World Boxing Association Lightweight Title
- Kim died four days later of injuries sustained in this bout. Kim's mother flew from Korea to Las Vegas to be with her son before the life support equipment was turned off. Three months later, she took her own life by drinking a bottle of pesticide. The bout's referee, Richard Green, committed suicide July 1, 1983.
- As a result of Kim's death, the World Boxing Council announced at their 1982 convention that all title bouts will be reduced from 15 to 12 rounds.