Ray Mancini vs. Orlando Romero
1983-09-15 : Ray Mancini 135 lbs beat Orlando Romero 134¾ lbs by KO at 1:56 in round 9 of 15
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Tony Perez
- Judge: Ismael Wiso Fernandez 77-76
- Judge: Yusaku Yoshida 79-77
- Judge: Nicasio L. Drake 77-77
- Mancini was at Madison Square Garden on June 17, 1983, when Roberto Duran defeated Davey Moore to win the WBA Junior Middleweight Championship. After the fight, Mancini told his manager, "I have to fight here."
- Mancini's father, Lenny Mancini, lost an eight-round decision to Rocky Castellani at Madison Square Garden in 1947. "My father hasn't been in the Garden since then," Ray said before the Romero fight. "This will be an emotional night for him."
- This was Mancini's first title defense since his fight against Deuk-Koo Kim on November 13, 1982. Kim died due to the injuries he suffered during the bout.
- Romero was ranked No. 1 by the WBA and had a record of 30-0-1, with 12 knockouts. However, he had never fought outside of his native Peru and was a huge underdog.
- The fight was tougher and closer than expected. It ended suddenly in the ninth round when Mancini put Romero down for the count with a left hook to the chin.
- Former WBC Super Featherweight Champion Alfredo Escalera lost a ten-round decision to Charlie (White Lightning) Brown in the co-main event.