Reyes Sanchez vs. Antonio DeMarco
2011-02-26 : Antonio DeMarco 134½ lbs beat Reyes Sanchez 134½ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Heartland Events Center, Grand Island, Nebraska, USA
- Referee: Vic Drakulich
- Judge: Nathan Palmer 117-111
- Judge: Dick Flaherty 116-112
- Judge: Jeff Sinnett 115-113
Aired On: Showtime Championship Boxing
- WBC Silver Lightweight Title (1st defense of Sanchez)
- Reyes Sanchez 20-3-1 (11 KOs) vs. Antonio DeMarco 24-2-1 (18 KOs)
- For Sanchez, a 3.25-1 underdog , it was his first professional bout outside his native Mexico.
Within the opening minute of Round 1, a straight left by DeMarco opened a cut over the left eye of Sanchez that would stream down his face for the first and last few rounds. DeMarco earned the early rounds with patience and movement against Sanchez, who was coming forward and throwing wide punches. It was clearly a strategy for DeMarco to keep the fight at a distance and pick his spots. Sanchez, the aggressor, found success when he was able to get on the inside and landed when DeMarco was against the ropes or cornered. Sanchez was able to increase the pressure in the middle rounds and kept DeMarco smothered and moving back, but it was clear Sanchez did not have the power to hurt his opponent. Sanchez was warned in Round 8 for holding onto the top rope. DeMarco was allowed time recover in Round 10 from a low blow. Although Sanchez was the more active of the two, DeMarco seemed to land the more effective punches.