Ricardo Lopez vs. Rosendo Alvarez (1st meeting)
1998-03-07 : Rosendo Alvarez 104¾ lbs drew with Ricardo Lopez 104¾ lbs by TD in round 8 of 12
- Location: Plaza de Toros, Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
- Referee: Arthur Mercante
- Judge: Tom Kaczmarek 64-67
- Judge: Dalby Shirley 66-66
- Judge: Samuel Conde Lopez 68-63
- World Boxing Association Minimumweight Title (Alvarez's 5th defense)
- World Boxing Council Minimumweight Title (Lopez's 21st defense)
- Lopez relinquished his WBO title before the weigh-in ceremony at the Hotel del Prado in Mexico City.
- WBO supervisor Ricardo Rizo presents an official complaint and discusses in a very strong way with WBC President Jose Sulaiman, who is believed to force Lòpez go up to the ring with the WBC belt only.
- Lopez was knocked down for the first time in his career in the second round.
- The fight was stopped due to a large gash over Lopez's right eye caused by an accidental headbutt.
- Even though accidental, WBC rules dictated that Alvarez be penalized one point because of the cut.
- This was considered at the time as Lopez's toughest bout in his then eight-year title reign.