Ricardo Mayorga vs. Cory Spinks
2003-12-13 : Cory Spinks 146 lbs beat Ricardo Mayorga 146 lbs by MD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Tony Orlando
- Judge: Eugene Grant 114-112
- Judge: John Keane 117-110
- Judge: Artur Ellensohn 114-114
- World Boxing Council Welterweight Title (1st defending of Mayorga)
- World Boxing Association Welterweight Title (3rd defending of Mayorga)
- International Boxing Federation Welterweight Title (1st defending of Spinks)
- Weights: 146 lbs (each)
- Spinks had success jabbing to the body and head moving in and out of range frustrating Mayorga.
- Mayorga used pressure throwing hooks from all angles but struggled with accuracy.
- Spinks began landing solid left hands to the head as mayorga kept coming forward.
- Mayorga penalized 1 point in round 5 for hitting after the bell and also 1 point in round 11 for holding and hitting.
- Cory Spinks wins The Ring Magazine Welterweight championship of the world.