Ricardo Mayorga vs. Michele Piccirillo
2005-08-13 : Ricardo Mayorga 154 lbs beat Michele Piccirillo 154 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: United Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Referee: Gerald Scott
- Judge: Anek Hongtongkam 117-108
- Judge: John McCarthy 117-110
- Judge: Oren Shellenberger 120-105
- World Boxing Council Super Welterweight Title (Vacant title)
- Weights: 154 lbs (each)
- Piccirillo down twice in the 2nd and once in the 4th. - The fight was for the vacant WBC title after the "reigning" champ, Javier Castillejo (who had just recently been promoted from interim to full champ status after Ronald (Winky) Wright moved up to Middleweight division), was stripped for agreeing to fight Fernando Vargas rather than Mayorga, who was the WBC mandatory challenger.
By Robert Hoffman & Jacob Chavez at ringside: "Former WBC/WBA welter king Ricardo "El Matador" Mayorga (27-5-1, 22 KOs) won the vacant WBC super welterweight title with a unanimous decision over former IBF welterweight boss Michele Piccirillo (44-2, 28 KOs) Saturday night at the United Center in Chicago. Mayorga dropped Piccarillo twice in round two, but Piccirillo had a good round three. Mayorga floored Piccarillo again in the fourth. The best round of the fight was round eight when both fighters landed numerous bombs, however for the most part, Piccirillo tried to outbox the awkward Mayorga with limited success."