Ridgewood Grove SC
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
Queens, NY, USA
- Northeast corner of St. Nicholas Avenue at Palmetto Street on the Brooklyn-Queens border, 341-343 St. Nicholas Avenue, Queens (although it is commonly said to have been in Brooklyn)
- Also known as the New Ridgewood Grove Arena
- Capacity: 4,000-5,000
- Existed on a regular basis from at least 1921 to 1956, and again in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
- Saturday night shows
- Promoters included Johnny Attell (who was also its matchmaker in the mid-1930s), L. F. Flatto, and Rudy Miller
- Sample show: Davey Abad vs. Tony Canzoneri on Nov 6, 1926
- Sample Program
- From NY Times Nov. 6, 1927 - The Palmetto Amusement Corporation, which owns and operates the New Ridgewood Grove Sporting Club at the northeast corner of St. Nicholas Avenue and Palmetto Street, Ridgewood, Queens Borough, has mortgaged its property for a $100,000 loan granted by the Title Guarantee and Trust Company.