Ring Magazine: January 1959
Explanations of Some Articles
- Brown's Showing in Busso Fight Rank!: Regarding the Joe Brown-Johnny Busso bout of Nov. 5, 1958
- Americans Lose Prestige: Losses by Eddie Machen, Willie Pastrano and Zora Folley (among others) in International Heavyweight Competition
- Fights of the Month (with photos): Ezzard Charles-Donnie Fleeman, Dave Charnley-Carlos Ortiz, Don Grant-Carl (Bobo) Olson, George Chuvalo-Pat McMurtry, Charley Cummings-Eddie Lynch, Sonny Liston-Bert Whitehurst, Rory Calhoun-Franz Szuzina, Gaspar Ortega-Don Jordan
- Can Brian London Do It?: That is, follow the foot-steps of his father and win the same titles?
- Barnes No Judge of Facts: Attack on Boxing After 37 Years as Official in New York Fails to Present Convincing Case to Anyone: Regarding Old-time Referee Harold Barnes's Oct. 25, 1958 Saturday Evening Post article "Let's Abolish Boxing."
- Flashbacks: Photos of Memphis Pal Moore and wife; Fidel LaBarba as captain of the 1927 Stanford University freshman football team; and Johnny Coulon vs. a "husky American soldier" in an Andernach, Germany ring performing his famous "trick" (pressing his finger behind his opponent's ear to affect his balance and leverage) (1921).
- Norway's Golden Bantam: two-page retrospective of Pete Sanstol's career
- The "Indian Sign": Sonny Ray's "Hex" on Jesse Bowdry Recalls Many Historic Cases of Inferior Fighters Who Have Exerted Strange Mastery Over More Highly Rated Rivals--e.g., Young Corbett II vs. Terry McGovern, Frank Klaus vs. George Chip, Jess Willard vs. Jack Johnson
- This Comeback Business: Sugar Ray Robinson, James J. Jeffries, Willie Pep
- What's Behind the One Round Knockout?: History of Famous One Round Knockouts Gives No Clues to Make an Easy Blueprint-- including Al McCoy, Benny Leonard, Joe Louis, Ingemar Johansson, Willie Jackson, Young Otto and others.
- Nat Fleischer Says: includes Commentary on U. S. Heavies Shunted to the Sidelines; D'Amato Undecided on Floyd's Challenger; Carlos Ortiz Saves Face of American Boxing in London Bout; Solomons Closes Harrigay with Fanfare; Referee's Scoring Privilege Out in Olympic Boxing; Woman Appointed Chairman of Louisiana Boxing Commission; McMurtry's Cautiousness Stands in Way of His Progress; Fred Digby, New Orleans Sports Writer, Passes Away; Chairman Helfand (of the NYSAC) Deserves Chance to Finish Job
- The Mat World: article on wrestlers Jack Allen, Silvia Torres, Cowboy Bob Ellis, and others
The January-February British version was similar:
- Photos of Joe Erskine defeating Max Brianto, & Terry Downes v Mohamed Taibi
- A scathing report on Joe Brown's performance against Johnny Busso in their recent fight
- An extensive feature with photos on Brian London
- A feature on welterweight Gerald "King" Gray
- An article on Pete Sanstol, the Norwegian Bantamweight of the 1920s
- An article on comebacks--successful or otherwise
- A series of photos from "Fights of The Month," including Ezzard Charles, Dave Charnley & Sonny Liston
- A feature on Jose Torres
- Famous One Round Knockouts
- A two page article celebrating the centenary of the birth of John L. Sullivan
- A list of the title holders plus top ten challengers at 8 weight divisions
- General boxing news from the USA, South America, Europe, Britain and around the world
- Wrestling news, with small photos