Robert Guerrero vs. Andre Berto
2012-11-24 : Robert Guerrero 146½ lbs beat Andre Berto 146¾ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Citizens Business Bank Arena, Ontario, California, USA
- Referee: Lou Moret
- Judge: Max DeLuca 116-110
- Judge: Julie Lederman 116-110
- Judge: Alejandro Rochin 116-110
Robert Guerrero versus Andre Berto Interim WBC Welterweight Title Bout
- Guerrero outslugged ex-champion Berto to win a bout of punishing punching from both boxers at close range. Guerrero took the fight to the inside. Berto's right eye appeared badly damaged by the second round, and Guerrero targeted the injured eye with left hands when Berto while manhandling Berto into the ropes all night. Berto came on stronger in the middle rounds with frequent uppercuts and hooks landed in the sixth, eighth and ninth rounds, closing Guerrero's right eye with a right uppercut. Overall, though, Guerrero was still the the busier fighter by the numbers. Guerrero, keeping a furious pace up, threw 103 punches in the 12th round, wobbling Berto, and continued landing shots on Berto after the bell. By the end of the bout, both of Berto's eyes were nearly swollen shut, and Guerrero's right eye was nearly swollen shut. Guerrero, Gilroy, California, rose to 31-1-1 with 18 KOs, Berto, Winter Haven, Florida, fell to 28-2 with 22 KOs. Guerrero called out Floyd Mayweather Jr. after the bout. Both fighters have promotional contracts with Golden Boy, making a future title match in 2013 between the two a possibility. Guerrero stated "I'm here. Let's do this, Floyd! I Feel I'm the best and can't be beat. Styles make fights, and I really feel I'll take him (Floyd) out. I'm unstoppable!" Not all sports writers at ringside agreed with Guerrero's calling out of Mayweather. Berto's face after the bout appeared to be brutalized.[]
- Berto was knocked down in the first and second rounds for a 20-16 lead on the judge's scorecards.
- First knockdown not without controversy. In the first round, Guerrero landed an overhand left, and followed with a series of straight left hands while illegally holding Berto's head with his right hand to score the knockdown. In the second round, a Guerrero right hook overhand left combination followed by lefts dropped Berto for the second time along the ropes.
- First million dollar purse and Home Boxing Office headliner bout for Guerrero.
- According to Compubox, Guerrero also did great body work, Guerrero landing 74 shots on Berto's midsection.
- All three judges saw the bout 116-110 for Guerrero. Even without the knockdowns, Guerrero would have won the bout 116-112 on the cards.
- Third consecutive 12 round decision win in three tries for Guerrero with the WBA, WBC and WBO interim Welterweight title belts at stake
- Photo gallery (courtesy Golden Boy) []
- Robert Guerrero's Win Shows He's Good, But Not Ready For Floyd Mayweather, Bleacherreport.com story by Kevin McCrae. "He (Guerrero) can expect to make a ton of money. He just shouldn't expect to win." []
Purses: Guerrero - $1 million, Berto - $1.625 million
Total punches: Guerrero 258 of 731, 35% Total punches: Berto 182 of 411, 44%
Power shots thrown: Guerrero 234 of 611, 38% Power shots thrown: Berto 162 of 326, 50%
Total jabs: Guerrero 24 of 120, 20% Total jabs: Berto 20 of 85, 24%