Roberto Duran vs. Kirkland Laing
1982-09-04 : Roberto Duran 155 lbs lost to Kirkland Laing 149¼ lbs by SD in round 10 of 10
- Location: Cobo Hall, Detroit, Michigan, USA
- Referee: Bobby Watson
- Judge: Bernard Humphrey 96-94
- Judge: Nate McAlpine 94-96
- Judge: Stuart Kirshenbaum 94-96
- Unofficial UPI scorecard: 96-94 Laing
- The fight was televised by ESPN.
- Laing's win was named The Ring Upset of the Year for 1982.
- Duran had been scheduled to face Tony Ayala Jr. on November 19, 1982. After the loss to Laing, the fight was canceled.
- Promoter Don King stormed into Duran's dressing room immediately after the fight and screamed at Duran and his handlers. King later told the press: "I'll not only urge Roberto to retire, I will implore this great man whom I love and understand to go out with the dignity his career deserves."
- The Associated Press reported: "In the first two rounds, Laing was constantly in motion, perhaps attempting to tire his opponent. Duran took the early rounds with good combinations, but the knockout power in what were once known as the 'hands of stone' clearly is there no longer. Laing stung Duran with a smashing right hand in the seventh round that seemed to weaken the Panamanian. Laing won that round, fought about even in the eighth, then won the ninth and tenth as he became the aggressor, scoring with good left jabs while holding off Duran's rushes."