Rocky Graziano vs. Tony Zale (3rd meeting)
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1948-06-10 : Rocky Graziano 158½ lbs lost to Tony Zale 158¾ lbs by KO in round 3 of 15
- Location: Ruppert Stadium, Newark, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Paul Cavalier
- World Middleweight Title
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Photo #4
- The fight was postponed one day because of rain.
- Graziano was a 12 to 5 favorite.
- There was a crowd of 21,497 at Ruppert Stadium.
- The gross gate was $335,646, radio rights were $45,000, and movie rights were $25,000. Television was banned by the promoters.
- Graziano was assured a purse of $120,000 and Zale $60,000.
- Zale decked Graziano with a left hook for a 3-count in the first round. Graziano was hurt by a right in the second round but came back and hurt Zale with his own right. In the third round, Zale dropped Graziano for a seven-count with a left hook. Shortly after getting up, Graziano was knocked cold by a left hook to the jaw and counted out.
- Zale became the third boxer to regain the World Middleweight Championship. Stanley Ketchel and Al Hostak were the other two.