Rocky Marciano vs. Archie Moore
1955-09-21 : Rocky Marciano 188¼ lbs beat Archie Moore 188 lbs by KO at 1:19 in round 9 of 15
- Location: Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York, USA
- Referee: Harry Kessler 5-2
- Judge: Harold Barnes 5-3
- Judge: Artie Aidala 7-1
- World Heavyweight Championship (6th defense by Marciano)
- Photo #2, Photo #3, Photo #4, Photo #5, Photo #6, Photo #7, Photo #8
- Marciano was a 4 to 1 favorite.
- The fight was postponed 24 hours because of Hurricane Ione.
- Attendance at Yankee Stadium was 61,574.
- The gross gate was $948,117.95 and the net was $820,935.20.
- Theatre Network Television drew an estimated $1,125,000 from some 320,000 fans in 129 locations in 92 cities.
- The radio receipts were $35,000.
- Marciano received $482,374 and Moore got $241,187.
- Moore was attempting to become the first reigning World Light Heavyweight Champion to win the World Heavyweight Championship.
- Marciano was dropped in the second round by a right hand, but he came back to knock Moore down three times officially — one apparent knockdown was ruled a slip — before flooring Moore for the full count in the ninth round.
- At the time of the fight, Moore's record was reported to be 120-19-5, with 82 KOs.
- This was Marciano's last fight. He retired with a record of 49-0, with 43 KOs.