Roy Jones Jr. vs. Antonio Tarver (2nd meeting)
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
2004-05-15 : Antonio Tarver 175 lbs beat Roy Jones Jr 174 lbs by TKO at 1:41 in round 2 of 12
- Location: Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Jay Nady
- Judge: Duane Ford
- Judge: Dave Moretti
- Judge: Jerry Roth
- The Ring Magazine Light Heavyweight Title (4th defense by Jones)
- WBA Light Heavyweight Super Title (1st defense by Jones)
- WBC Light Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Jones)
- IBO Light Heavyweight Title (5th defense by Jones)
- IBA Light Heavyweight Title (3rd defense by Jones)
- NBA Light Heavyweight Title (4th defense by Jones)
- WBF Light Heavyweight Title (Vacant Title)
- See also: Antonio Tarver vs. Roy Jones Jr. (1st meeting)
- See Also: Antonio Tarver vs. Roy Jones Jr. (3rd meeting)
- Jones was a 4-1 favorite.
- Jones made $6 million and Tarver got $2 million.
- There was a crowd of 10,318.
- Jones blamed his subpar performance in the first fight on difficulty making weight. During the prefight instructions at center ring, referee Jay Nady asked if anyone had any questions. Tarver said, "I got a question. You got any excuses tonight, Roy?"
- Jones won the first round on all three official scorecards.
- During an exchange in the second round, Tarver dropped Jones with an overhand left flush on the chin. Jones rose at the count of nine and the referee waved off the fight as Jones stumbled across the ring into the ropes.
- Jones landed 12 of 42 punches and Tarver connected on 7 of 54.
- The fight was named Knockout of the Year by The Ring.
- The fight generated 384,000 pay-per-view buys.