Roy Jones Jr. vs. Bernard Hopkins (1st meeting)
1993-05-22 : Roy Jones Jr 159½ lbs beat Bernard Hopkins 159 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: RFK Stadium, Washington, District of Columbia, USA
- Referee: Steve Smoger
- Judge: Al DeVito 116-112
- Judge: Henry Eugene Grant 116-112
- Judge: Lynne Carter 116-112
- Unofficial Boxing Illustrated Scorecard: 117-111
- Unofficial HBO Judge Harold Lederman Scorecard: 118-110
- International Boxing Federation Middleweight Title (Vacant title)
- See also: Bernard Hopkins vs. Roy Jones Jr. (2nd meeting)
- This was the first world title fight for both boxers.
- Hopkins was ranked #1 by the IBF and Jones was #2.
- The IBF middleweight title became vacant after James Toney defeated Iran Barkley to win the IBF super middleweight title three months earlier.
- Jones vs. Hopkins was on the undercard of Riddick Bowe's heavyweight title defense against Jesse Ferguson.
- There was a crowd of 8,500.
- Jones landed 206 of 594 punches (35%) and Hopkins connected on 153 of 670 (23%).
- The Associated Press reported: "Jones was much too fast and much too strong for Bernard Hopkins."
Toney vs. McCallum II
| IBF Middleweight Title Fight
Jones Jr vs. Tate