Roy Jones Jr. vs. Jeff Lacy
2009-08-15 : Roy Jones Jr 174 lbs beat Jeff Lacy 172 lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 10 of 12
- Location: Coast Coliseum, Biloxi, Mississippi, USA
- Referee: Keith Hughes
- Judge: Larry Ingle 99-91
- Judge: Gary Ritter 100-89
- Judge: Randy Phillips 98-92
- NABO Light Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Jones)
- Aired On: PPV (USA), Main Event (Australia), Super Channel (Canada)
Lacy tried to pin Jones on the ropes throughout the fight, but Jones was unaffected by the tactic and seemed more worried about playing to the crowd than about Lacy's punches. Jones mugged to the crowd, pointed at his friends in the audience, wiggled his hips and clowned in front of Lacy, all the while landing potshots at will.
Jones opened a small cut under Lacy's left eye in the third round. By the ninth round, both of Lacy's eyes were badly swollen from the number of punches that Jones had landed, most of them in rapid succession. Lacy's left eye was just a slit in the 10th round and his corner didn't even have an enswell to help reduce the swelling.
It was a Jones rout until Lacy's corner mercifully pulled him out of the bout after the 10th round. There was a discussion in Lacy's corner after the ninth about stopping it, but Lacy, whose heart can't be questioned, convinced his team to give him another round.
- Jones vs. Lacy was the main event of a card titled "Hook City."
- The card was co-promoted by Square Ring (Jones' company) and Left Hook Promotions (Lacy's company).
- Lacy was a 3½-1 underdog.
- The Ring ranked Jones as the #6 light heavyweight contender in the world. Lacy was not ranked by the publication.
- The bout was delayed 25 minutes due to a dispute over what type of gloves the fighters would wear. Although Jones insisted the contract stated the fighters would use Grant gloves, Lacy, at the last minute, demanded they use Everlast gloves. The fighters went back and forth until Jones relented and agreed to wear Everlast gloves. According to John Wirt, CEO of Square Ring, the Mississippi commission fined Lacy $25,000 for the incident.
- Jones landed 249 of 500 punches (50%) and Lacy connected on 104 of 429 (24%).
Jones Jr. vs. Sheika
| NABO Light Heavyweight Title Fight