From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1998-07-18 : Roy Jones Jr 175 lbs beat Lou Del Valle 175 lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 118-109 Jones
- WBC Light Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Jones)
- WBA Light Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Del Valle)
- Del Valle was a sparring partner for Jones in 1995. He was paid $750 a week.
- Jones earned $2 million and Del Valle got $850,000.
- There was a crowd of 4,519.
- Del Valle was cut over the left eye from an accidental butt in round seven.
- Del Valle put Jones down for the first time in his professional career with a left cross in round eight.
- Jones landed 233 of 483 punches (48%) and Del Valle connected on 113 of 286 (40%).