Roy Jones Jr. vs. Montell Griffin (1st meeting)
1997-03-21 : Montell Griffin 175 lbs beat Roy Jones Jr 175 lbs by DQ at 2:27 in round 9 of 12
- Location: Taj Majal Hotel & Casino, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Tony Perez
- Judge: Barbara Perez 76-75
- Judge: Chuck Hassett 75-77
- Judge: Terry Smith 75-76
- World Boxing Council Light Heavyweight Title (1st defense by Jones)
- Promoter: Square Ring, Inc
- Jones was a 6-1 favorite.
- Jones hurt Griffin with a right two minutes into the ninth round. With 46 seconds left in the round, Griffin went down on one knee "to clear my head." Jones hit him with a right followed by a left hook. Griffin toppled over and was counted out by referee Tony Perez.
- After counting out Griffin, Perez disqualified Jones for hitting Griffin while he was down. "I was counting because if (Griffin) could've continued, I'd have taken one or two points away from Jones," Perez said.
- Jones said: "I wasn't sure he was down. I didn't have time to think and see whether he was down. I thought he was down and he might come back at me. I wasn't looking at his knees. I was looking at his face. I didn't feel the ref try to separate me at all."
- HBO's unofficial judge Harold Lederman had Jones ahead 76-75 after eight rounds. The New Daily News had Griffin ahead 77-75.