Roy Jones Jr. vs. Omar Sheika
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
2009-03-21 : Roy Jones Jr 173¼ lbs beat Omar Sheika 175 lbs by TKO at 1:45 in round 5 of 12
- Location: Civic Center, Pensacola, Florida, USA
- Referee: Tommy Kimmons
- Judge: Mike Ross
- Judge: Don Balas
- Judge: Peter Trematerra
- Announcer: Jimmy Lennon Jr.
- Promoter: Square Ring, Inc.
- NABO Light Heavyweight Title (Vacant title)
- Promotional Poster
- The fight was the main event of a pay-per-view titled "March Badness" that included both boxing and mixed martial arts matches.
- Jones Jr. (52-5) came in ranked as the #6 light heavyweight in the world by The Ring. In his previous fight, he lost a lopsided decision to Joe Calzaghe for The Ring light heavyweight title. Sheika (27-8) came in having lost six of his last ten bouts. It was only his second fight since September of 2005.
- Jones Jr. used distance and hand speed to land almost at will against the ring-rusty Sheika. As pay-per-view announcer Bob Sheridan observed, Sheika was "a perfect opponent for Roy."
- Sheika suffered a bad cut on the bridge of his nose early in the fifth round. At 1:45, referee Tommy Kimmons stepped in and waved an end to the bout. Sheika was very disappointed with what he and his corner felt was an early stoppage. Sheika did not appear to be visibly shaken by the punches, but Jones was in total command and landing a lot of shots to the head. Bob Sheridan called it "a good stoppage."
- In the post-fight interview, when asked if he would fight again, Jones Jr. turned to his hometown crowd and asked, "Do ya'll want me back?" His fans answered with a resounding yes. "Well, ya'll heard what they said," he responded. "I guess I better get back to training...let my hands heal up for a few days then I'm back."
Cloud vs. Wood
| NABO Light Heavyweight Title Fight
Jones Jr. vs. Lacy