Roy Jones Jr. vs. Richard Frazier
1999-01-09 : Richard Frazier 174 lbs lost to Roy Jones Jr 175 lbs by TKO at 2:59 in round 2 of 12
- Location: Civic Center, Pensacola, Florida, USA
- Referee: Armando Garcia
- Judge: Glenn Hirch 8-10
- Judge: Oren Shellenberger 8-10
- Judge: Frank Skilbred 8-10
- WBC Light Heavyweight Title (3rd defense by Jones)
- WBA Light Heavyweight Title (2nd defense by Jones)
- Frazier, a New York City police officer, was ranked #1 by the WBC and #3 by the WBA.
- Jones floored Frazier once in the first round and once in the second.
- Jones landed 39 of 92 punches and Frazier connected on only 4 of 29.
- Lou DiBella, who was a senior vice president at HBO, said WBC president Jose Sulaiman should be "embarrassed" for ranking Frazier #1. "It was disgraceful," DiBella said. "I'm sorry I had to put it on. It was mandatory. I can't tell Roy to give up his title. But the idea that Rick Frazier was #1 in the WBC and #3 in the WBA is ludicrous." Sulaiman later said, "I am embarrassed. I take full responsibility."
- "It wasn't very satisfying," Jones said of his victory. "I don't pick these guys. He was the #1 contender. It's not my job to tell these people (sanctioning bodies) what to do."