Roy Jones Jr. vs. Richard Hall
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
2000-05-13 : Roy Jones Jr. 173½ lbs beat Richard Hall 174½ lbs by TKO at 1:41 in round 11 of 12
- Location: Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
- Referee: Wayne Kelly
- Judge: David Harris 100-86
- Judge: Alejandro Rochin 100-88
- Judge: Gary Merritt 100-88
- WBC Light Heavyweight Title (6th defense by Jones)
- WBA Light Heavyweight Title (5th defense by Jones)
- IBF Light Heavyweight Title (2nd defense by Jones)
- There was a crowd of 13,211.
- Hall was the interim WBA light heavyweight champion.
- Jones floored Hall twice in the first round.
- Referee Wayne Kelly stopped the fight in the eleventh round with Hall taking a beating in Jones' corner. Many felt the bout should have been stopped sooner. HBO commentator Larry Merchant said, "The referee ought to be pistol whipped for allowing that to go on."
- Jones landed 320 of 512 punches (62%) and Hall connected on 106 0f 485 (22%).
- Both Jones and Hall tested positive for anabolic steroids after the fight. "Jones was five or six times over an acceptable level," said Jacob Hall, who was chairman of the Indiana State Athletic Commission. "Hall was about ten times above an acceptable level." Jones insisted his positive test was the result of ingesting the supplement Ripped Fuel. No penalties or suspensions were issued because Indiana, like many states, had no legal authority to test for steroids. The IBF sent letters to Jones and Hall informing each man that he had tested positive for an unspecified anabolic steroid, but no further action was taken.