Roy Jones Jr. vs. Tony Thornton
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1995-09-30 : Roy Jones Jr 167½ lbs beat Tony Thornton 165¾ lbs by TKO at 0:45 in round 3 of 12
- Location: Civic Center, Pensacola, Florida, USA
- Referee: Brian Garry
- Judge: Bill Ray 20-17
- Judge: Gary Merritt 20-17
- Judge: Dave McCullough 20-17
- International Boxing Federation Super Middleweight Title (3rd defense by Jones)
- Thornton was ranked #1 by the IBF.
- Jones dropped Thornton with a left hook right before the bell ending round two.
- Jones backed Thornton to the ropes early in round four and unleashed a barrage of punches. Thornton failed to punch back, and the referee stopped the fight.
- Jones landed 98 of 210 punches (47%) and Thornton connected on 20 of 56 (36%).