A rubber match is the deciding match of a multi-bout series between two boxers, in which the two boxers have each won a bout against each other. The term usually refers to the third bout in a series, making it a trilogy.
There also have been examples in the modern era in which a draw in an earlier bout has made the fourth bout the "rubber match." This bout is usually seen as the match that determines which boxer has superiority over the other.
Famous Rubber Matches (Third match)
- Muhammad Ali TKO 15 Joe Frazier ("Thrilla in Manila") - October 1, 1975
- Tony Zale KO 3 Rocky Graziano
- Muhammad Ali W 15 Ken Norton
- Riddick Bowe TKO 8 Evander Holyfield
- Arturo Gatti W 10 Micky Ward
- Floyd Patterson KO 6 Ingemar Johansson
- Barney Ross W 15 Jimmy McLarnin
- Nino Benvenuti W 15 Emile Griffith
- Emile Griffith TKO 12 Benny (Kid) Paret