Saman Sorjaturong vs. Joma Gamboa
1996-04-27 : Saman Sorjaturong 108 lbs beat Joma Gamboa 108 lbs by TKO at 0:26 in round 7 of 12
- Location: Regional Stadium, Maha Sarakham, Thailand
- Referee: Vince Delgado
- Judge: Takaomi Ito 60-53
- Judge: Cliff Heaver 58-54
- Judge: Gelasio Perez Huerta 60-54
- World Boxing Council Light Flyweight Title (3rd defense by Saman)
- Saman Sorjaturong 29-2-1 (24 KOs) vs. Joma Gamboa 16-2 (12 KOs)
- Gamboa entered ranked WBC #7 light flyweight contender coming into the fight.
- WBC Light Flyweight Champion Saman is coming off a fourth-round technical knockout of Mexican Antonio Perez in his second defense of the WBC Title two months ago.
- The challenger, Joma Gamboa, is coming off a third-round knockout loss eight months ago to that same Antonio Perez.
- Saman is 12-0-1 (9 KOs) against Filipino fighters coming into the bout.
- Gamboa is 1-0 (1 KOs) against Thai fighters coming into the bout.
- Reigning and defending WBC Light Flyweight Champion Saman Sorjaturong of Thailand successfully retained his title for the third time by defeating challenger and WBC #7 light flyweight contender Joma Gamboa of the Philippines by seventh-round technical knockout.
- Gamboa began to back off from the champion in round 2, finding it hard to penetrate the latter's defense, even with his hard jabs. Gamboa was taking punishment in trying to find an opening, getting hit with hard combinations from the much more powerful Thai. The turning point of the bout began in round 6, with Gamboa beginning the round with full force aggression. The Filipino pursued the champion around the ring, but failed to land anything of substance. Saman countered Gamboa's attack, unleashing jabs and hooks to the head and the body which had the Filipino reeling. Gamboa was dropped twice in this round. The following round, round 7, saw Saman trying to finish off the challenger, forcing referee Vince Delgado to step in and call a halt to the fight, awarding Saman the stoppage victory.