Saul Alvarez vs. Alfonso Gomez
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
2011-09-17 : Saul Alvarez 153¾ lbs beat Alfonso Gomez 152¾ lbs by TKO at 2:36 in round 6 of 12
- Location: Staples Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Referee: Wayne Hedgepeth
- Judge: Alejandro Rochin 50-44
- Judge: Ray Corona 49-45
- Judge: Max DeLuca 49-45
- Gomez down in the first round from a body shot, a 10-8 round for Alvarez. The second round was close and appeared about even.
- Gomez appeared to win the third and fourth round, counter punching and landing head jabs, landing most effectively with Alvarez on the ropes
- Alvarez won the fifth and sixth rounds, landing head jab combinations with power in center ring, avoiding the ropes and winning the exchanges
- Alvarez landed a short but powerful punch to left side of head of Gomez in sixth, who staggered across the ring. Alvarez continued to attack Gomez on the ropes, landing some punches to head and body urging the referee to stop the fight.
- Some observers, including the HBO crew, thought that Gomez was still able to defend himself and criticized what was widely perceived to be a premature stoppage.
- Bout broadcast live as the preliminary to the main event of Floyd Mayweather versus Victor Ortiz, though from a different location