Sergey Kovalev vs. Cedric Agnew
2014-03-29 : Sergey Kovalev 174¼ lbs beat Cedric Agnew 174½ lbs by KO at 0:58 in round 7 of 12
- Location: The Ballroom, Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA
- Referee: Samuel Viruet
- Judge: Julie Lederman 60-52
- Judge: John Stewart 60-52
- Judge: Alan Rubenstein 60-52
- World Boxing Organization Light Heavyweight Title (2nd defense by Kovalev)
- Promoter: Kathy Duva (Main Events)
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Aired On: HBO Boxing After Dark (Main Event)
- Unique technical bout posed style challenge to Kovalev, taken to round 7 for only second time. He went 8 rounds with Darnell Boone in 2010.
- To win, Agnew needed to emerge from his defensive shell significantly and take chances. Agnew played a waiting game and was broken down.
- Left jab hook to the chin by Kovalev knocked down Agnew for first time in his career in round 2, Agnew getting caught out of foot position.
- Kovalev down on canvas for first time in his career in round 4 after a headbutt by Agnew, ruled no knockdown by referee Samuel Viruet.
- Kovalev in trouble spot for first time in his career, cut over his right eye from a butt in round 4, and cut over left eye from an elbow in round 6.
- Agnew fought bout as a southpaw defensive counter puncher, his hands upraised in a tight defense. Agnew wanted a one punch opportunity.
- One of Agnew's knees grazed the canvas when he crouched down after getting hit in round 6, ruled a knockdown by referee Samuel Viruet
- Kovalev found a hole in Agnew's defensive armor, using power left hooks to body to break Agnew down, knocking him out at 0:58 of round 7.
- In the post-fight interview with Max Kellerman, Kovalev cursed out Adonis Stevenson, and said he will fight any opponent in his division.
- Satellite transmission problems due to a violent storm caused TV interference. At times viewers heard static, or a second unrelated telecast.