Shawn Porter vs. Alfonso Gomez
2012-07-28 : Shawn Porter 146¼ lbs beat Alfonso Gomez 146½ lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
- Location: HP Pavilion, San Jose, California, USA
- Referee: Edward Collantes
- Judge: Kermit Bayless 98-92
- Judge: Steve Morrow 96-94
- Judge: Marty Sammon 97-93
Shawn Porter overcame a cut above his right eye in the opening round and a nasty gash in the tenth that spanned his left eyebrow to remain unbeaten over a spirited Alfonso Gomez.
The first three rounds saw heated exchanges between the two with each man landing power punches to his opponent's head. Gomez looked to out-physical and rough up the quicker Porter, who was more willing to trade punches than in previous bouts.
The fifth round was a strong one for Porter as he was a step faster than Gomez and landed solid combinations with Gomez against the ropes as the round ended. By the end of the fifth, Gomez had began to develop swelling above both of his eyes.
The latter rounds saw Gomez fade in stamina and go to mat on numerous occasions from non-knockdowns. A clash of head sent Gomez to the mat in the seventh and caused him to begin bleeding from the nose. Later in the round, he threw himself off balance and went down again. He too twice had to have his mouthpiece replaced after losing it in the ring.
In the second half of Round 9, a clash opened a large and bloody cut to Porter's left eyebrow. Action was twice halted to allow the ringside physician to view the cut, but action was allowed to continue.
- Shawn Porter 19-0 (14 KOs) vs. Alfonso Gomez 23-5-2 (12 KOs)
- Fight was the primary undercard bout for Robert Guerrero vs. Selcuk Aydin.
- Gomez entered as a 3.4 to 1 betting underdog.
- It was just the second bout for Porter in nearly a year and a half following a unanimous decision win over Anges Adjaho (25-4) on ESPN Friday Night Fights.
- It was the first fight for Gomez since suffering a sixth round knockout loss to Saul Alvarez (37-0-1) ten months prior.
- Ticket prices ranged from $26 to $252.
- "These men have both fought their hearts out." - Al Bernstein
- "One thing's for sure, he (Porter) got some valuable experience tonight." - Analyst Gus Johnson
- "I'm 20-0 now. I've got to get over that hump. If there's anything I could change it is coming straight forward. A cut or a swelling eye is not an issue, but it was a lot of heart from Gomez." - Shawn Porter in the post-fight interview