Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Davey (Boy) Green
1980-03-31 : Sugar Ray Leonard 147 lbs beat Dave 'Boy' Green 147 lbs by KO at 2:27 in round 4 of 15
- Location: Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland, USA
- Referee: Arthur Mercante 30-27
- Judge: Harry Gibbs 30-27
- Judge: Larry Barrett 30-27
- WBC Welterweight Championship (1st defense by Leonard)
- Program Cover
- Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4
- The fight was shown live in prime time on ABC. The telecast featured four world title fights from three different locations. The first two fights were in Knoxville, Tennessee: Eddie Gregory stopped Marvin Johnson to win the WBA Light Heavyweight Title, and Mike Weaver knocked out John Tate to win the WBA Heavyweight Title. Leonard was up next, knocking out Green in Landover, Maryland. In the final fight of the night, Larry Holmes stopped Leroy Jones to defend the WBC Heavyweight Title in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- This was Green's second shot at the WBC Welterweight Title. In his first title try, Green was stopped in eleven rounds by champion Carlos Palomino on June 14, 1977.
- Green was ranked tenth by the WBC.
- Leonard was a 6 to 1 favorite.
- Leonard made $1.4 million for the fight.
- There was a crowd of about 12,000 at the Capital Centre.
- Leonard put the British challenger on his back for the count with a devastating left hook in the fourth round. Green was down for several minutes.
- Angelo Dundee, Leonard's trainer, was on his way to the post-fight press conference when he ran into Joe Saunders, described as a "hanger-on" in the Leonard camp. Dundee told him to move out of the aisle, and Saunders punched Dundee in the mouth, knocking him to the floor. Dundee was checked for a possible concussion, and Saunders was taken into police custody.