Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Kevin Howard
1984-05-11 : Sugar Ray Leonard 149 lbs beat Kevin Howard 150½ lbs by TKO at 2:28 in round 9 of 10
- Location: DCU Center, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
- Referee: Dick Flaherty 77-76
- Judge: Dave Sammataro 79-74
- Judge: George DeFillipo 78-74
- Unofficial AP scorecard: 77-74 Leonard
- Unofficial KO Magazine scorecard: 77-75 Leonard
- Program Cover
- Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4, Photo 5
- Leonard had retired on November 9, 1982, following surgery to repair a detached retina in his left eye.
- On December 10, 1983, after boxing a six-round exhibition at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland, Leonard announced that he was returning to the ring.
- Leonard and Howard were originally scheduled to fight on February 25, 1984, but the fight had to be postponed after Leonard had minor surgery on his right eye to repair a loose retina on February 13.
- Leonard was paid $3.5 million, and Howard got $105,000.
- The fight was televised live on HBO.
- There were 10,461 fans in the 13,000-seat DCU Center.
- Both fighters wore thumbless gloves, which Leonard insisted on as a precaution against eye injuries.
- In the fourth round, Howard floored Leonard with a right hand. It was the first time Leonard was knocked down as a professional.
- Shortly after Leonard wobbled Howard with a left hook in the ninth round, the referee stopped the fight. Most felt it was a premature stoppage.
- Leonard was so disappointed in his performance that he announced his retirement at the post-fight press conference. "As of this moment, I am retired," he said. "There's no sense in fooling myself or anyone else. It's just not there. I just can't go on and humiliate myself. I fought with apprehension. I had fear for my eyes. I had fear for my whole body. But now I am content. I did try."