From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1981-03-28 : Sugar Ray Leonard 145 lbs beat Larry Bonds 144½ lbs by TKO at 2:22 in round 10 of 15
- When Leonard fought Bonds, he was already signed to challenge WBA Junior Middleweight Champion Ayub Kalule on June 25, 1981. Since both Bonds and Kalule were southpaws, the Bonds fight was viewed as a tune-up for Leonard.
- Leonard had fought southpaws only twice as a professional: In 1979, he outpointed Adolfo Viruet over ten rounds and stopped Tony Chiaverini in four rounds.
- Bonds was ranked sixth by the WBC.
- The fight was promoted by the Greater Syracuse Chamber of Commerce.
- Tickets were priced from $60 for ringside seats down to $10.
- Leonard's purse was $750,000, and Bonds got $100,000.
- The fight was televised live on HBO.
- More than 21,000 fans attended the fight.
- Leonard scored knockdowns in rounds three and ten.