Sumbu Kalambay vs. Mike McCallum (1st meeting)
1988-03-05 : Mike McCallum 158¾ lbs lost to Sumbu Kalambay 158¾ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Palazzo Dello Sport, Pesaro, Marche, Italy
- Referee: John Coyle
- Judge: Fernando Viso 115-116
- Judge: Cesar Ramos 114-118
- Judge: Rogelio Perez 114-115
- World Boxing Association Middleweight Champinship (1st defense by Kalambay)
- See also: Mike McCallum vs. Sumbu Kalambay (2nd meeting)
- McCallum was the betting favorite.
- This was McCallum's first defeat after 32 straight wins.
- McCallum had relinquished the WBA junior middleweight title to move up in weight.
- The AP reported: "Sumbu Kalambay showed too much speed and staying power."