Tavoris Cloud vs. Clinton Woods
2009-08-28 : Tavoris Cloud 174 lbs beat Clinton Woods 173½ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, Hollywood, Florida, USA
- Referee: Telis Assimenios
- Judge: Mike Ross 116-112
- Judge: Hubert Earle 116-112
- Judge: Nelson Vazquez 116-112
Aired On: ESPN Friday Night Fights
- International Boxing Federation Light Heavyweight Title (Vacant)
- Tavoris Cloud 19-0 (18 KOs) vs. Clinton Woods 42-4-1 (24 KOs)
- Woods, a 3-1 underdog, entered as the # 7 light heavyweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Cloud, despite being the betting favorite, was unranked by the same publication.
- At 27 years of age, Cloud was ten years the junior of Woods.
- Fight was on the undercard of Juan Urango vs. Randall Bailey.
- For Cloud, it was his first professional bout to go beyond ten rounds.
- Teddy Atlas scored the bout 119-108 in favor of Cloud.
Cloud came out in the opening round the aggressor looking to land big punches against the veteran Woods. A strong second round likely evened the scorecards as Woods used sound defense and a solid work rate. Cloud began to take control of the fight in the middle rounds. He began outworking Woods and landing power shots over the persistent jab of Woods. To his credit, Woods took some of Cloud's best shots without wavering through much of the fight. A left hook, however, caught Woods moving straight back with his hands down in the final minute of Round 8 staggering him back into the corner. He was able to survive the follow-up barrage of Cloud by covering up and throwing straight punches in between Clouds looping shots. In Round 10, several big punches from Cloud brought Referee Telis Assimenios in for a closer look as Woods, despite still throwing, often had his back against the ropes and was continuing to take big punches. He was, however, able to maintain himself well enough to go the distance.