The Fighter (Film)
- 2010 film about boxer Mickey Ward and Dick Eklund, Ward's trainer and older half-brother.
- Film description by Joe Morgenstern of the Wall Street Journal:
- Academy Award Nominees Mark Wahlberg (The Departed), Christian Bale (The Dark Knight) and Amy Adams (Doubt) star in this “remarkable” film. Based on a true story, two brothers, against all the odds, come together to train for a historic title bout that has the power to reunite their fractured family and give their hard-luck town what it's been waiting for: pride. Micky Ward (Wahlberg) is a struggling boxer long overshadowed by his older brother and trainer, Dicky (Bale), a local legend battling his own demons. Their explosive relationship threatens to take them both down - but the bond of blood may be their only chance for redemption.
- The film won two Academy Awards: Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role (Christian Bale) and Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role (Melissa Leo, who portrayed the mother of Ward and Eklund). The film received five other nominations: Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role (Amy Adams, who portrayed Ward's girlfriend), Best Picture, Best Achievement in Directing, Best Achievement in Film Editing, and Best Writing (Original Screenplay).
- The film had a production budget of $11,000,000. It generated $93,617,009 in the United States and $129,262,388 worldwide.
- Wahlberg and Bale were featured on the cover of the December 20, 2010, issue of Sports Illustrated.
- IMDb link: