The Next Great Champ
The Next Great Champ was a reality television series on Fox that aired in late 2004. It followed a group of boxers as they competed with one another in an elimination-style competition, while their lives and relationships with each other and their families were depicted. The boxers competed for $750,000, a contract with De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, and a sanctioned WBO title fight.
The show was rushed into production to compete with Mark Burnett's The Contender reality boxing series, and Champ deputed prior to The Contender. The show sought to discover young, raw boxers and train them for a possible title fight opportunity. The show quickly fizzled in the ratings, and after four episodes The Next Great Champ was cancelled by Fox. The final six episodes aired on Fox Sports Net.
The only season of the show was won by Otis Griffin. After the victory, Griffin was set to battle Alfonso Sanchez for the WBO lightweight championship, but the bout never materialized.
1. David Pareja UD 4 Arsenio Reyes
2. Fred Bachmann UD 4 Lawrence Alonzo
3. Rene Armijo Jr. TKO 3 Paul Scianna
4. Jimmy Mince SD 4 Otis Griffin
5. Gilbert Zaragoza TKO 3 Luis Corps
Bachmann quits the show, and Griffin is brought back as a replacement.
6. Otis Griffin UD 4 Mike Vallejo
6. Otis Griffin D 4 Mohamad Elmahmoud
9. Otis Griffin UD 6 David Pareja