Thomas Hearns vs. Iran Barkley (1st meeting)
1988-06-06 : Thomas Hearns 160 lbs lost to Iran Barkley 160 lbs by TKO at 2:39 in round 3 of 12
- Location: Las Vegas Hilton, Hilton Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Richard Steele
- Judge: Chuck Giampa 20-18
- Judge: Omar Mintun 20-18
- Judge: Jerry Roth 20-18
- World Boxing Council Middleweight Title (1st defense by Hearns)
- See also: Thomas Hearns vs. Iran Barkley (2nd meeting)
- Program Cover
- Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3
- The fight was shown live on pay-per-view and closed circuit television.
- Hearns was paid $1.5 million and Barkley got $250,000.
- Hearns was a 4 to 1 favorite.
- There was a crowd of 8,541 at the Hilton.
- Hearns controlled the first two rounds, hitting Barkley almost at will. At the beginning of the third round, Barkley was bleeding from cuts above both eyes and from the lower lip. Hearns continued to pound Barkley and unleashed a vicious body attack. In the final minute of the third round, Barkley nailed Hearns with a big right hand. As Hearns started to fall back, Barkley hit him with another right. Hearns landed flat on his back. He struggled to get up and barely beat referee Richard Steele's count. A barrage by Barkley sent the wobbly Hearns into the ropes, and Steele stopped the contest as Hearns went through the two middle strands.
- Hearns landed 52.2 percent of his 157 punches, compared with Barkley's 31.1 percent of 122 punches.
- The Ring named Barkley's knockout of Hearns Upset of the Year for 1988.
Hearns vs. Roldan
| WBC Middleweight Title Fight
Barkley vs. Duran