Thomas Hearns vs. Pablo Baez
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1981-06-25 : Thomas Hearns 147 lbs beat Pablo Baez 144¾ lbs by TKO at 2:10 in round 4 of 15
- Location: Astrodome, Houston, Texas, USA
- Referee: Ken Morita
- Judge: Knud Jensen 30-27
- Judge: Les Muller 30-27
- Judge: Ken Morita 30-27
- World Boxing Association World Welterweight Title (3rd defense by Hearns)
- Promoter: Bob Arum (Top Rank)
- Baez entered the fight ranked 9th by the WBA.
- The referee stopped the fight while Baez was being punished on the ropes.
- Hearns earned $525,000 for the fight, while Baez received $75,000.
- On the same card, Sugar Ray Leonard stopped Ayub Kalule to win the WBA Junior Middleweight Championship.
- The card was shown live on closed-circuit television and was rebroadcast by NBC Sportsworld on July 5.