Tod Morgan

From BoxRec
Jump to: navigation, search

Name: Tod Morgan
Birth Name: Albert Morgan Pilkington
Born: 1902-12-25
Birthplace: Dungeness, Washington, USA
Died: 1953-08-03 (Age:50)
Hometown: Seattle, Washington, USA
Stance: Orthodox
Height: 5′ 7½″   /   171cm
Reach: 71″   /   180cm
Boxing Record: click

Division: Super Featherweight
Trainer: Spider Roach
Managers: Fred Morgan, Frank Churchill
Tod Morgan Image Gallery

According to the April 7, 1927 Spokane Spokesman-Review, Tod Morgan was born in Dungeness, WA--which is adjacent to Sequim. (Dungeness is now a ghost town.)

In 1927 Morgan held both the World Super Featherweight and World Junior Lightweight Championships. He took the World Junior Lightweight Title in 1926, and would hold the Lightweight Title of Australia in later years.

Per an August 19, 1923 Seattle Daily Times newspaper article, Morgan's first bout occurred in Concrete, Washington. His second occurred at Anacortes, Washington, and his opponent was Pete Moe. He then headed south to California with his step-father Fred Morgan, who had been born in Oregon. That article also states Morgan's record, at that August 1923 date, to be 68 total bouts so far, losing three, and having never been knocked out. (On December 17, 1925, the Associated Press reported that Morgan, who was in San Francisco at the time, had settled the "hometown question" by proclaiming Seattle, Washington, as his official hometown--saying that he had lived there longer than anywhere else. Tod once had sold newspapers on the streets of Seattle.)

After they arrived in Eureka, California, Fred put his son in boxing merely as a means of getting some strength into his body. According to the April 3, 1929 Seattle Daily Times, Fred began training Tod in the backroom of the Hoffman House in Vallejo, a soft-drink parlor and lunch room (this was during Prohibition). Fred had no intention of his son ever becoming a professional fighter, let alone a world champion. But Tod liked it so much that he began boxing professionally. On April 6, 1927, local newspapers reported that Fred Morgan had been found dead in a motor boat near Port Angeles, Washington. It was believed that a leak in the boat's exhaust pipe resulted in his death while he had slept. Tod took a break from boxing during this period.

On February 15, 1929, in Seattle, Tod Morgan adopted Billie, the four-year-old son of Mrs. Morgan (formerly of Arcata, California).

According to the December 24, 1942 Portland Oregonian, Morgan served in the Australian Army, fighting in Africa. He later returned to the United States and worked as a referee and a bellboy in hotels before he became ill in 1953 and died. He was survived by his widow, Grace, and his mother, Ms. Minta Pilkington of Reno, Neveda.