USA: Maine Laws
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
History of Maine Boxing Legislation, Rules & Regulations
(Enter material chronologically)
- 1904-02-06: Portland bans boxing. Plattsburgh Republican
- 1915-01-06: Six-round bouts to a decision in effect. (Boxers sometimes fought back-to-back bouts to get around the six-round limit.)
- Date?: Decision bouts outlawed; "no decision" era starts. (Some believe it was 1910.)
- 1939-September 15: Decision bouts legalized, ending the "no-decision" era.
- 1940-04-11: Maine Boxing Commission formed.
- 1951-04-26: The Maine Boxing Commission bars all boxers over age 35 years from fighting in the state. New York Times