Vic Darchinyan vs. Yonnhy Perez
2011-04-23 : Vic Darchinyan 117¾ lbs beat Yonnhy Perez 117¾ lbs by TD at 1:07 in round 5 of 12
- Location: Nokia Theater, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Referee: Jerry Cantu
- Judge: Max DeLuca 50-44
- Judge: Marty Denkin 50-44
- Judge: Jerry Roth 50-44
Aired On: Showtime
- International Boxing Organization Bantamweight Title (Vacant)
- Vic Darchinyan 35-3-1 (27 KOs) vs. Yonnhy Perez 20-1-1 (14 KOs)
- Darchinyan entered as the # 8 bantamweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Perez entered as the # 6 bantamweight by the same publication.
- Fight was part of the Showtime Bantamweight Tournament.
- Press row scores: Doug Fischer: 50-45 for Darchinyan, Steve Kim: 50-44 for Darchinyan, Francisco Salazar: 50-44 for Darchinyan
Darchinyan rocked Perez in round one, knocked him down in round two and was in command all the way. Perez had his moments but wasn't able to hold off Darchinyan's aggression. The bout ended when Perez was cut by an accidental headbutt at 1:07 of round five. Scores were 50-44 on all cards.
Darchinyan dedicated his victory to lives lost in the 1915 Armenian Holocaust, as well as the Australian's for Anzac Day for the following day.
- "I am ready. I have a good strong opponent. He is one of the busiest fighters but he can't punch. I will destroy him, I will knock him out. Bantamweight is not a heavy division for me. I have knocked all my opponents down in bantamweight." - Vic Darchinyan