Victor Ortiz vs. Josesito Lopez
2012-06-23 : Victor Ortiz 146½ lbs lost to Josesito Lopez 144¾ lbs by RTD at 3:00 in round 9 of 12
- Location: Staples Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Referee: Jack Reiss
- Judge: Kermit Bayless 86-85
- Judge: Marty Denkin 87-84
- Judge: Pat Russell 88-83
- World Boxing Council Silver Welterweight Title (vacant)
- Promoter: Golden Boy Promotions (Richard Schaefer)
- Ring Announcer: Jimmy Lennon Jr.
- Aired On: Showtime Championship Boxing (Main Event)
- Victor Ortiz 29-3-2 (22 KOs) vs. Josesito Lopez 29-4 (17 KOs)
- Ortiz entered as the #3 welterweight in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Lopez, a 6.5/1 betting underdog, was unranked by the same publication.  
- Ortiz was originally scheduled for a rematch with Andre Berto, who tested positive for a banned performance-enhancing drug in May which led to the bout's cancellation.
- Ortiz entered with a record of 1-1-1 in his previous three. Lopez lost his previous bout via split decision to Jessie Vargas (16-0).
- At 144 3/4 lbs, Lopez weighed in at the heaviest of his career.
- At the time of the stoppage, Dan Rafael had the bout scored 97-94 in favor of Ortiz.
- Among those in attendance were Oscar De La Hoya, Abner Mares, actor Jack Nicholson, and Ortiz's already scheduled next opponent Saul Alvarez. With the loss and injury, the fight with Alvarez was off.
- The day after the fight, Ortiz had surgery to repair two fractures to the right side of his jaw. Ortiz's surgeon inserted a titanium plate in his jaw along with three screws during the two-hour operation. Ortiz's mouth was also wired closed and will remain that way for about two weeks during what is expected to be a six-week healing process. Ortiz indicated that he would like to exercise the rematch clause to meet Lopez again. 
The first half was slow with each man feeling out the other. The pace stepped up in the second half of the round with Ortiz throwing combinations. Lopez landed a pair of nice left hooks in the round including one in the final seconds that stung Ortiz. Ortiz hurt Lopez midway through Round 2 and appeared to have him in some danger, before Lopez retaliated with power punches of his own. Each man had his moments in a close Round 3. Ortiz likely took Round 4 with aggression and by beating Lopez to the punch. Lopez threw more in the last minute of the round, but landed infrequently. Action was paused in Round 5 when Ortiz hit Lopez in the back of the head while pressing down on him. Lopez went to the mat and was allowed a few minutes to recover as the referee called the ringside physician up to view Lopez. By the end of Round 6, Lopez had developed some swelling to his left eye. An active Round 7 saw the two trade power shots. Lopez landed a pair of clean uppercuts that snapped back Ortiz's head, before Ortiz pressed him against the ropes and threw. Lopez motioned for Ortiz to "bring it on" and the two traded with Lopez appearing to hurt Ortiz in the final seconds. In Round 9, Lopez closed again with some power hooks. Following the round, the fight was surprisingly stopped as Ortiz stood up and tried to push past his cornerman to inform the referee that his jaw was broken. The referee asked Ortiz is he was wanting the fight stopped and he replied, "Yes, because my jaw is broken."