Wilfred Benitez vs. Maurice Hope
From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
1981-05-23 : Wilfred Benitez 153¼ lbs beat Maurice Hope 153½ lbs by TKO at 1:56 in round 12 of 15
- Location: Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Referee: Richard Greene
- Judge: Joe Swessel 107-102
- Judge: Chuck Minker 107-101
- Judge: Duane Ford 107-103
- World Boxing Council Super Welterweight Title (4th defense by Hope)
- Benitez was a 2 to 1 favorite.
- Hope made $450,000 and Benitez got $175,000.
- The fight took place at the Caesars Palace Sports Pavilion.
- Benitez knocked out Hope with an overhand right.
- Benitez became the first boxer in 43 years to win world titles in three weight divisions.