Wilfredo Gomez vs. Azumah Nelson
1984-12-08 : Azumah Nelson 125½ lbs beat Wilfredo Gomez 125½ lbs by KO at 2:58 in round 11 of 12
- Location: Hiram Bithorn Stadium, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Referee: Octavio Meyran
- Judge: Dick Young 95-96
- Judge: Marcello Bertini 93-97
- Judge: Mike Jacobs 95-95
- World Boxing Council Featherweight Title (1st defense by Gomez)
- Nelson entered the fight ranked as the No. 1 featherweight contender by the WBC.
- The fight had originally been scheduled for September 29, 1984, but it was called off when promoter Murad Muhammad failed to come up with the purse money of $800,000. 
- Nat Carnes of the Associated Press reported: "In the fourth round, Nelson staggered Gomez, but the champion weathered the attack. Gomez then took charge in the next few rounds. He surprised Nelson with a left hook in the sixth round, a weapon he kept planting in his face until the 11th round. The champion worked on Nelson's body with good combinations and the African responded with pushing left hands that did little damage. Nelson began to reverse the trend in the latter part of the 10th round when a sharp combination brought blood from Gomez' mouth. . . . The 28-year-old Nelson surprised Gomez midway through the 11th round with a smashing right that buckled the champion's knees. Gomez tied up Nelson. Then, when Gomez backed up to avoid a punch, he skidded across the ring. It looked like Gomez had slipped, but referee Octavio Meyran of Mexico City gave Gomez a standing eight count. Nelson ended the scheduled 12-round fight with a lightning combination that floored the 28-year-old Gomez."
- Gomez left the stadium without speaking to the media. His manager, Frank Parilla, blamed the knockout loss on Gomez "trying to slug it out with Nelson in the 11th when he was ahead."