Name: Yordenis Ugas
Birth Name: Yordenis Ugas Hernandez
Born: 1986-07-14 (Age:27)
Birthplace: Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
Hometown: Miami, Florida, USA
Boxing Record: click
Trainer: Eric Castanos
Yordenis Ugas Hernandez is a Cuban boxer best known for winning the lightweight gold at the 2005 World Amateur Boxing Championships at age 19. Ugas also captured a gold medal at the 2007 Pan American Games and a bronze medal in the lightweight dvision at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.
Ugas became a sensation at the 2003 Cuban Nationals when he caught a silver medal as a 16-year old. The same year he won gold at the U17 (Cadet) World Championships but in 2004 he lost at the World Junior Championships to Amir Khan. On other occasions he lost twice to countryman Luis Franco at featherweight and wasn't selected for the 2004 Olympics.
In 2005, his first year as a senior, he moved up to lightweight and became more successful, winning the Cuban Championships from 2005 to 2008, turning into a one of the star cuban boxers. He won Pan American Championships (not the Pan Am Games) in 2005, however in other tournaments he lost twice to Kazakh southpaw Serik Sapiyev.
At the Senior World Championships 2005 he suffered two heavy knockdowns by Canadian southpaw Ibrahim Kamal in his third fight but managed to win. Manila Times writes: "But for two fleeting moments Thursday, unheralded Canadian lightweight Ibrahim Kamal showed the world that the Cubans, arguably the number-one force in amateur boxing, may have jaws of glass after all. The University of Toronto student knocked down Yordenis Ugas in the first and second rounds with two sledgehammer lefts to the side of the chin. But then the Canadian southpaw hurt one knee as he and Ugas wrestled each other to the floor in the third round, leaving him effectively fighting on one leg." Later Ugas convincingly beat Russian Khabib Allakhverdiyev and in the final he outfought Romal Amanov from Azerbaijan. Cubanet.org writes "Yordenis Ugas, a sharp, technically accomplished fighter but with a suspect jaw, won the lightweight gold for Cuba after an explosive toe-to-toe clash with Romal Amanov of Azerbaijan." It describes him "a tall, bony lightweight with a languid fighting style"
In 2006 he won gold at the Central American and Caribbean Games.
In 2007 he beat Yordan Frometa and Roniel Iglesias Sotolongo at the National Championships. Later that year Ugas won the Pan American Games in Rio de Janeiro beating Darley Perez and Everton Lopes. Cuba didn't participate in the World Championships in Chicago and Ugas couldn't defend his title from 2005.
In 2008 he defended the national championships against old foe Luis Franco and won his Olympic qualifier. At the 2008 Olympics Ugas was the favorite along with russian Aleksei Tishchenko but after some dominating performances, Ugas was upset in the semifinal against frenchman Daouda Sow whom Ugas had beaten previously on two occations.
In 2009 Ugas won the Nationals at his new weight 64 kg, beating old rival Roniel Iglesias Sotolongo in the final 12-9. However Iglesias was selected for the World Championships, winning gold and Ugas defected to the United States and turned professional in july 2010.
World championships results
- Defeated Fayzuloev Marufjon (Tajikistan) 28-14
- Defeated Asghar Ali Shar (Pakistan) 28-14
- Defeated Ibrahim Kamal (Canada) 23-14
- Defeated Jong Sub-Baik (South Korea) 34-16
- Defeated Khabib Allakhverdiev (Russia) 45-22
- Defeated Romal Amanov (Azerbaijan) 42-28
Cuban national championship results
- Defeated Yosbel Melgarejo RSCO 2
- Defeated Yudenis Gonzalez 35-31
- Defeated Sander Rodriguez 21-7
- Lost to Yosvani Aguilera 5-17 (2nd place)
- Defeated Ceilan Varona 17-4
- Defeated Yosbel Melarejo 13-5
- Defeated Michel Sarria Mendez 20-10
- Defeated Raudel Sanchez (Cuba) 15-6
- Defeated Jose Agramonte RSCO 2
- Defeated Victor Perez walk-over
- Defeated Yoandri Lomba 23-7
- Defeated Michel Sarria Mendez 25-9
- Defeated Frank Isla RSC 2
- Defeated Yordan Frometa RSCO 3 (21-1)
- Defeated Jorge Moiran 15-5
- Defeated Julio Cesar Figueredo 25-1
- Defeated Roniel Iglesias Sotolongo 21-8
- Defeated Onelis Perez 20-0
- Defeated Luis Franco 14-4
- Defeated Eldris Terrero 14-5
- Defeated Pablo de la Cruz 17-3
2008 (as a lightweight)
- Defeated Hamza Kramou (Algeria) 21-3
- Defeated Domenico Valentino (Italy) 10-2
- Defeated Georgian Popescu (Romania) 11-7
- Lost to Daouda Sow (France) 8-15