From Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia
- Fight was to unify the WBA and IBF Featherweight titles.
- IBF title at stake only for Gamboa as Salido was stripped of it prior to the fight due to weighing more than ten pounds over the weight limit at a second weigh-in on the morning of the event.
- Gamboa controlled much of the early rounds.
- Gamboa down in round 8.
- Gamboa knocked Salido down in the 12th round, but was docked 2 points for hitting Salido while he was on the canvas.
- Gamboa became the first Cuban boxer to hold an IBF world title since the organizations inception.