Zab Judah vs. Carlos Manuel Baldomir
2006-01-07 : Zab Judah 146¾ lbs lost to Carlos Manuel Baldomir 146¼ lbs by UD in round 12 of 12
- Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, USA
- Referee: Arthur Mercante Jr.
- Judge: Guido Cavalleri 113-115
- Judge: Melvina Lathan 112-115
- Judge: Julie Lederman 113-114
World Boxing Council Welterweight Title (Judah's 2nd defense)
- Showtime announcers said that prefight rumors suggested Judah was not properly trained for his title defense.
- Baldomir was busier, scoring a nose bleed early, and hurting Judah in round seven. Baldomir was cut on the right eye in round eleven by a butt.
- Blows: Baldomir 161/417 39%; Judah 91/294 31%.
- Baldomir wins the The Ring Magazine welterweight world title.
- Named The Ring magazine Upset of the Year for 2006.
- Judah's IBF and WBA titles were not at stake since Baldomir did not pay their sanctioning fees. Baldomir's camp later claimed that neither organization had ever approached them about paying the fees. Judah lost his WBC title to Baldomir and the WBA withdrew their recognition of Judah as the undisputed or "super" champion. Luis Collazo, the WBA's "regular" champion at the time, as a result, became their only welterweight titlist. The IBF continued to recognize Judah despite the loss. He would lose the IBF title to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in his next bout.